Eighty-nine percent of Americans want to stay as long as possible in their current houses. Chances are you are seeing remodeling projects going on in your neighborhood. Most people need help with the remodeling and so if you have the skills to do work on these projects, either as a handyman or a contractor. Depending on the size of your market, you might specialize in a particular type of remodeling.
According to the National Association of Home Builders, here are the most popular types of remodeling:
- Bathroom remodeling – 72%
- Finishing basements – 72%
- Kitchen remodeling – 70%
- Window and door replacement – 40%
- Whole house remodeling – 39%
- Room additions – 35% (such as a bedroom or sunroom)
- Repairing property damage – 29%
- Handyman services – 27%
- Decks – 25%
- Siding – 22%
Contractors can specialize in particular types of residential remodeling, such as restoring homes damaged by fire or suffering from other insurable losses, condo/apartment remodeling, renovating historic residences, or they might specialize by architectural style. Another way to specialize is by what areas of a residence you remodel.
Here are the skills and knowledge do you need to have:
- You need to have an understanding of the industry, some background knowledge in engineering, architecture, interior decoration, or the like.
- You need to have hands-on capability to do the work unless you compensate with other skills such as business management, computer operation, or interior design and contract out hands-on work.
- Even if you are not hands on, you need enough knowledge to handle scheduling and ordering and to oversee quality.
- If you broker or outsource components of the work, you need to be effective at coordinating, scheduling, and supervising other people.
These organizations are sources of more information about the industry:
- American Subcontractors Association
- National Association of Home Builders Remodelors Council
- National Association of the Remodeling Industry
For an initial free consultation to explore this or another sustainable livelihood that bests suits your personality and your community, contact me. directly for a consulting appointment. I offer coaching through Google Helpouts and as a SBDC consultant, For an initial free consultation to explore this or another sustainable livelihood that bests suits your personality and your community,
Comments on the substance of the blogs are welcome. If you have other questions, please contact me directly for a consulting appointment.